Wednesday 19 October 2011

Tactical Failure

After scoring a few “easy goals” I thought I should tackle something on the list which I hadn’t even started, which really means I’m picking one of Cassys. After a week or so of action I decided it was time for a bit of strategy, and where better to get confused by numbers than on the PSP!
I loved and hated the time I spent with Tactics but I’ll save you the suspense and tell you now, I’ve stopped playing and it’s not complete.
I know, that’s terrible, its against the whole concept of the mission! I know that, and I will finish it eventually, I swear…I have to! For now though, it’s so frustrating I might accidentally dunk Cassys PSP in the fishtank, which will not only make it much harder to finish the other PSP games but won’t be netting me any house-points with the missus.
Don’t get me wrong, when the game was going well, I really enjoyed it and genuinely want to finish it.
Tactics has you command a gang of medieval warriors through turn-based battles over board-like area's. Expect plenty of lines beginning "hast thou" of "forsooth!" and variations of my favourite "you forget yourself!" which I'm thinking of adapting into my own brilliant catchphrase.
You have knights, you have mages, you have bows and arrows, you have enemies that counter-attack for more damage than you do to them, you have chocobo's that go just out of reach and heal themselves relentlessly, you have neer-do-wells dodging, blocking or surviving with 1HP at the worst possible times, you DON'T have your dead party members back after battle despite the fact the battle should have ended 10 damn turns ago if the healing, dodging, goddamn chocobo would just die already!!!
Lady luck watches over your shoulder while you play this game and she hates your guts.
Maybe I was just unlucky with the fights I had and the game wasn't actually weighted against me, but it certainly felt this way at the time and due to a sore back, freezing cold feet a long day at work I put this one back on the shelf for something that would make me swear less.
pictured: The bain of my life

I will be back for you tactics, thou hasnt not forsaken me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment